The "Development of an Accurate and Consistent Method for Methane Emission Estimation from the Gas Distribution Grid" project – or MEEM DSO for short – is aimed to develop a pan-European method to estimate gas grid methane emissions.
Phases I and II of the project are now finished, and the final documents are available (see below).
Main results of the project:
- An Excel model was developed, which includes all relevant equations and assumptions to support national or company emission estimates.
- MEEM is as accurate as possible with reasonable effort, enabling a consistent pan-European application.
- MEEM provides the potential for estimation with different levels of detail.
- Some challenging input parameters have been identified. Those parameters are currently estimated by expert assumptions from the group and should be validated in future follow-up research.
- Not all relevant input parameters are available in every country, the need for further measurements, updating of statistics, etc. has been identified.